Pages

Friday, July 8, 2011

Good Luck and Godspeed

AP Photo/Terry Rinna

The space shuttle Atlantis took off today, marking the final launch for the NASA space shuttle program. Seeing this picture made me super nostalgic and homesick today. Central Florida was really a great place to grow up. I mean, what child doesn't want to live an hour away from Mickey Mouse? But one of the coolest novelties of where I grew up was being able to step outside and watch the shuttles launch. You could literally feel the boom right after the take off. It was awesome. I saw Discovery launch a few times; I clearly remember the fatal launch of the Challenger. We even took field trips to NASA when I was in elementary school. The shuttle program really gave me some great memories to look back on, and I'm a little bummed that my children won't get to see a shuttle take off. But, such is life. So, as a fond farewell, I say to the crew of the Atlantis, "Good luck and Godspeed."

No comments:

Post a Comment