Pages

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

"Face It, Not Guilty - That's How I Stay Filthy"


For those of you who have been living in a hole for the past few months, I'm talking about Casey Anthony. You remember her, right? The mother who killed her adorable three year old daughter? Yeah, her. Well, as you know, the jury came back yesterday, after deliberating for less than 24 hours . . . and gave her a not guilty verdict. No, really. I know, I know. I'm rolling my eyes, too. "Bella Vida," is right. Would it have been too much for the judge to ask them [very politely] to please turn their asses right back around and take a little bit longer to think it over? I mean, this was a freaking murder trial, not a 5K race. You don't have to be the first to the finish line; you just have to make a rational decision. For shiggles, let's have a look at the charges Mommy Dearest was up against and the jury found:

  1. Murder in the first degree - Not guilty
  2. Aggravated manslaughter of a child - Not guilty
  3. Aggravated child abuse - Not guilty
  4. Providing false information to law enforcement - Guilty
  5. Providing false information to law enforcement - Guilty
  6. Providing false information to law enforcement - Guilty
  7. Providing false information to law enforcement - Guilty
*blinkblinkblink*

This case/trial/verdict is Exhibit A as to why the death penalty does not work. Juries feel so overburdened with the fact that someone's life is in their hands, and they get gun-shy. I have to say - I am not really surprised that they did not find her guilty of murder. Again, I think when the death penalty is on the table, all jurors need is just the tiniest sliver of reasonable doubt. And to be fair, Jose Baez did a Charlie Sheenesque rock-star job of providing reasonable doubt. (Read: the defense's shit show confused the jurors enough to distract them from the fact that Casey's story just didn't make any sense.) Additionally, I can't honestly say that I think the prosecution met their burden of proof. They probably should have avoided that murder one charge and shot for the other six lesser charges. I think the circumstantiality of their evidence might have been a bit easier to swallow if the jury didn't have to consider that ol' Casey might have her last dance with Ol' Sparky.*

Yesterday's acquittal was definitely the verdict heard 'round the world, but in my opinion, it raises the question of the effectiveness of our judicial system. This is purely subjective, but should this verdict restore your faith in our justice system, or further demonize a dated system that never seems to work in these crazy, media-frenzy-type trials? If you ask me, it's kind of a double-edged sword. One one hand, I think we should be glad that she was acquitted of murder. Don't get me wrong, I think the chick is guilty as sin . . . but the fact remains that there was, in fact, reasonable doubt. Playing devil's advocate, perhaps we should celebrate that the jury did recognize that fact, because we are talking about murder, after all . . . and she could have been put to death if found guilty. I know that if I was on trial for murder (which I obviously would never commit because I'm a lady with class and broughtupsy - I don't even fight), I would want the prosecution to be held to their burden of proof. It's probably better to let one, relatively harmless (because hey, we're not her kid, nor are we stopping her from prancing off from bar to bar, entering hot body contests and shaking her money maker), batshit crazy, pathological liar back out on the streets than to convict (and possibly kill) an innocent person of a crime they didn't commit. I mean, look at how many tax dollars are being wasted on the West Memphis Three (sorry for the shameless plug, but I couldn't even help myself).

Now that the devil's out of the way - on the other hand, I made the comparison yesterday that this trial and verdict were eerily reminiscent of the OJ Simpson trial in 1995. You remember that one, right? Of course you do. You also remember the anger and betrayal you felt when he was acquitted, right? (Especially when he went all crazy town and wrote that book.) It's that feeling that makes people think the "justice" system in America doesn't work. That feeling you get when someone has already been tried by the general public, and there's the expectation that everybody knows the person is guilty. Or when people like LaLa Lohan spend little to no jail time, and face no repercussions for violating probation.**Yup. That's what's wrong. The burden of proof exists, but only conveniently, when people's pesky consciences get in the way. Hmph. Chalk that up to another great, but also annoying and stupid thing about America. Right there with electoral colleges and the BCS system.***


*I know that Florida retired Ol' Sparky years ago; I'm from Florida, remember? It just sounds a lot more interesting than the lethal injection cocktail they're doling out these days.
**I think I overlooked the LiLo verdict in the whole Casey Anthony melee. The broad avoided jail time [again] AND she's allowed to drink now. Fasten those seatbelts, Los Angelenos - Linds is on the loose!
***Come. On. You KNOW those things are stupid. Yeah, it's great that we have a democracy in America. Or it would be, if the popular vote actually counted for something. I think the 2000 presidential election was excellent evidence supporting the fact that the electoral college system is dated and ridiculous. No? And don't even get me started on the BCS system. Obviously, there should be playoffs. There are playoffs in every other sport. Why not college football? Now, I'm no sports guru, and I typically would be against anything extending a sports season by any means . . . but I love Gator football. (Goooooo Gators!) Oh yeah, and I'm not a moron. Any moron can see the system doesn't make sense. I'm just saying.



3 comments:

  1. Hi this is Myke's friend!
    I'm actually one of the few on the opposite side of this opinion. I am happy with the verdict. But just to clarify, the jury did have the option to charge her with a lesser offense. The death penalty vs life in prison was something the jury could decide. It wasn't as cut and dry as death penalty or freedom. There were able to give her something less serious while still charging her as guilty. This was mentioned during the jury instruction. As i have a personal interest in the case I have made a point to read everything that it available as evidence or related to the case. Despite all the lies and stupid decisions Casey made, there just wasn't evidence to prove she murdered the child. Had the jury determined the prosecution had proved their case, they could have given her a life sentence or MANY years in prison. But they did not.

    I won't speak more on the matter as we may get into a debate that just doesn't matter anymore. I'm just glad its over. However it isn't necessarily a happy feeling, the little girl is still gone and even if her mother is innocent--her life is forever changed. She is getting death threats, which is just sad that people are so emotionally involved in this. I'm not saying any of what she did is right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lindsay! Welcome! :)

    Without getting into the dreaded debate (haha), I actually DO agree with you; believe it or not. I think that the prosecution should have recognized that their evidence was all circumstantial, and they would not meet their burden of proof. In fact, I think the choice to charge her with murder one is the biggest mistake they made. In my heart of hearts, I think something isn't right with her story. At the end of the day, the decision is made; and I, too, am glad this whole debacle is finally coming to an end. I hope Caylee has found her peace in heaven and I have everything crossed in hopes that Caylee's Law will be passed. Us grownups have to look out for our youth; they are our future, after all! If you haven't already done so, please read/sign the petition.

    http://www.change.org/petitions/create-caylees-law

    Thanks for reading!
    xo Becks

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great to find someone who can think logically about this situation. I knew in my heart she did not murder her baby, but I agree something wasn't right. I'm not sure what, but something happened. I'm surprised they didn't charge her with negligence, they would have gotten her. I can't even argue that point--she was negligent. I have looked into the petition and I think its a great idea.

    I feel sad for this family, regardless of what happened. It will take a long time to heal from all of this. I just hope we as a nation can learn from this--Caylee's law is an excellent idea. I'm sure there are other situations that we just haven't heard about. The media really went crazy with this one.

    ReplyDelete