Pages

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Becks' Favorite Things

I had a bit of an epiphany this morning. I realized that I spend a good majority of my time on my blog bitching about my dislikes and pet peeves and things I hate. In honor of Oprah's last show, maybe it's about time to give you some insight into the things that make me happy. I'm going to start with baby steps and just give you a little peek into some of the things I almost can't live without...maybe you'll find some stuff that piques your interest. Without further ado...

...these are a few of my favorite things...
(Don't worry, my list consists of much more substantial shit than raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens.)


Gadgets
Like most women, I'm not all that big on gadgets. (Okay, that was a gross generalization, but most of the women I know would much rather spend their money on clothes and shoes than gadgets. That's what men are for.) That said, there ARE a few that I would be lost without. Starting from top, then clockwise:

(1) Original Chi flat iron - Call me old school, but I'm still using the original chi. I'm not quite sure how I lived without it. But my hair and my ego both thank Farrouk (and fun Kristie for letting me in on the secret years ago).
(2) Kindle 3G - A bookworm's dream!! This is by far the best gift I've ever received. An endless library of books at my fingertips? Yes, please.
(3) Scrabble app for Kindle - (Not sure if this can be considered a gadget...but it's my blog and I say it does. End of story.) I don't know if you know this about me, but I love words. Big ones, small ones, bad ones, silly ones. Thus, Scrabble is probably one of my all-time favorite games. The convenience of having it on my Kindle never ceases to amaze me. It's very satisfactory to beat the computer. I'm not bragging, but my stats are pretty great.
(4) Blackberry Bold - WHAT DID I EVER DO WITHOUT A SMARTPHONE? Enough said. I like mine the best because of the leather back. It's classy.
(5) Motorola T325 Bluetooth In-Car Speakerphone - Another great gift from the hubs! Alas, my car didn't come with the bluetooth for my phone and my car is pretty much the place I do the most chatting. This little gem is the perfect solution! It works just like the handsfree in most cars and even offers voice command dialing. Score.


Snacks n' Shit
Okay, okay. These aren't all snacks. Hence the "n' shit." But these are some foodstuffs that make me happy.

(1) Haribo Gold Bears - Hands down the best gummy bears EVER. Trust me. Gummies are my favorite candy and I've pretty much tried them all. This brand smokes all the others. They rate perfect on the chewy, fruity scale. Get some. They're delish.
(2) Ketel One Vodka - I totally used to be a Grey Goose girl. I mean, rappers used to write songs about it; it must be good. But then I did a blind shot taste test...and Ketel really is just better. It has a smooth, sweet finish that is music to any martini's ears. If you haven't already tried it, please do. I'm spreading the news.
(3) Truffle Oil - Quite possibly the most decadent type of oil, this stuff is amazing. I'm convinced it was sent to us from the gods (who dined on nectar, ambrosia and truffles, as far as I'm concerned). I had my first experience with the truffle fries at Maison Dupuy in New Orleans and I was hooked. Try drizzling some of this amazing indulgence in a bottle on french fries or macaroni and cheese (I think it goes best with gruyere mac and cheese, personally). You'll want to dive into a pool of it, roll around and stay awhile. Do it. This rates right up there with Nutella and Limoncello.
(4) Caramel Apple Sugar Babies - You might lose a tooth eating these, but I promise it's worth it. These chewy delights are limited edition and tough to find, but keep an eye out around Halloween. They seriously taste like a caramel apple and it's a party in your mouth. (TWSS?) They also have them sometimes at Cracker Barrel.
(5) Don Julio Blanco - The hubs and I did a tequila tour, where we tried different brands to determine which we liked best. This is probably my favorite tequila to shoot. Super clean finish and no scrunchface at the end. You can barely taste it (which could be dangerous)!
(6) True North Pistachio Crisps - I love all things pistachio. Pistachio pudding, pistachio cake, pistachio icing, pistachio ice cream, plain ol' salty pistachios...I could go on. But these little crispy wafer thingies with the bits of pistachios are a winner, winner, chicken dinner in my humble opinion. This brand is a little uppity and can be difficult to find but you can likely find these in any hoity toity grocery store. It's worth the trek out to the 'burbs for these little salty snackeroos.


Tunes
I love music. All genres. I think music is the perfect cure-all. There's something to suit every mood and songs can even trigger memories (good or bad) and transport you back to the exact moment you filed that song in the memory bank. In fact, I'm pretty sure I have a tiny DJ in my head with super eclectic taste in music that keeps me bobbing my head to some beat every second of every day. My love for music probably came from my years slaving away at the piano...but either way...Loves it! I have such an affinity for such a wide variety of music, it's damn near impossible to pinpoint my favorite albums...but here are several of them (in no particular order). In the interest of time, I had to cut myself off; I could seriously go on forever.

(1) Kanye West - My Beautiful, Dark, Twisted Fantasy - Uh...SO good. It was a relief to have the old Kanye back. I'm still pissed about 808's and Heartbreak. Welcome back, 'Ye. You were missed.
(2) Nina Simone - Ze Best - Simply put, I heart Nina Simone. She sang of a time of oppression and pain and overcoming obstacles. Total class act. Don't be surprised if one of my children ends up named Nina. I've been coveting that name for years.
(3) Coldplay - Parachutes - "'Know how I know you're gay?' 'How?' 'You like Coldplay.'" Gay or not, I love me some Chris Martin. That voice! It's so haunting and I love it. This cd is one of my all-time faves. Perfect cd to zone out to.
(4) Jay-Z - The Blueprint - Sick album. Period. I've loved Jigga since Reasonable Doubt...but this cd really did it for me. That love ballad (haha) with Eminem, "Renegade"? Ridiculous.
(5) N.E.R.D. - In Search Of... - The song "Lapdance" will never get old for me. Ever. The DJ in my head keeps it on heavy rotation. What a great theme song.
(6) Erykah Badu - Baduizm - All-time Favorite. Her voice is SO soulful and rich. Her concert was actually one of the best I've ever been to, also.
(7) Devin the Dude - Waiting to Inhale - I heart Devin. He's a rapper after my own heart. Pretty much all he raps about is smoking weed...but what's wrong with that? I've been hooked since "Doobie Ashtray."
(8) Nirvana - Nevermind - Come. On. Classic!
(9) T.I. - Trap Muzik - The best T.I. album is debatable, but this is my personal fave. I love most things T.I., but this album was (and still is) the shit.
(10) 2Pac - All Eyez on Me - Okay. I LOVE TUPAC. Always have; always will. I'm a sucker for a sexy guy with a bald head and Tupac did not disappoint. I loved that he was so deep and poetic. I know he's dead (and what a shame), but this album will never die.
(11) Outkast - ATLiens - This might be the best overall album ever. I'm just saying. These guys are spittin' knowledge at you and you don't even know it because of the dope beats and the twang. Well, let me tell you - I've owned at least 5 copies of this album and they've all been stolen. That's saying a lot.
(12) Jay-Z - The Blueprint 3 - Maybe I'm being a bit redundant, but I loved this album from front to back. I can't say that about a lot of albums. Venus vs. Mars is my track. Who am I kidding? I love them all.
(13) N.E.R.D. - Seeing Sounds - Pharell wasn't kidding. This album made me really see where he was going with his beats. This one stays in heavy rotation, too.
(14) John Mayer - Where the Light Is - I don't typically love live albums, but this one is a killer because it's just an amazing compilation. Two thumbs up.
(15) Juvenile - 400 Degreez - Another classic. Any hot girl/boy from the south would agree. This cd was the joint when it came out. Still is, in my humble opinion.
(16) Adele - 21 - I am currently obsessed with this cd. Adele's voice is retarded amazing and it seriously gets in your head. I recently posted on Facebook that driving while listening to this album is detrimental to my health because I always want to close my eyes and get lost in the music. I wasn't exaggerating.
(17) Kanye West - Late Registration - Another all-time favorite. Hands down my favorite Kanye cd. This album was one of the first "just because" gifts the hubs ever gave me when we were dating. I loved it so much, I put all the homies on it. This cd will always remind me of some of the best times of my life. Thanks, Kanye. You're not so bad, after all.
**(18) Imogen Heap - Speak for Yourself - Okay, I neglected to add a pic of this album...but it's uh-mazing. The clarity in her voice is out of control. Hers was another one of the best concerts I've attended. She actually sounds that good in real life, too.  


Beauty Products
Now that I have your attention, I'll close with the beauty essentials in my life. These are the things I el-oh-vee-ee...

(1) Blowdryer Comb Nozzle Attachment - This is the newest addition to my beauty essentials. Gets your hair stupid straight and sleek. Not sure if they're available for retail purchase, but if you know a stylist - they can probably order it for you.
(2) Gucci Perfume - The original. This stuff smells so good I want to gobble myself up. The only downfall is that it's lasting power is kind of subpar. But it's worth it to smell like heaven, even if just for a few hours.
(3) Fantasia IC Hair Polisher Heat Protector Straightening Serum - This stuff is, simply put, the BOMB. It makes your hair feel all silky smooth and adds a nice shine without weighing it down. It smells yummy and has the added bonus of protecting your hair from all of the harsh heat of blowdrying and flat ironing. (Thanks AGAIN, fun Kristie)
(4) Dr. Scholl's Insteps for High Heels - Are you gellin'? If not, you should be. These things are a Godsend for girls like me who insist on punishing their feet with 4"+ heels. Ladies, if you haven't already, buy some. Right meow, please.* Thank me later.
(5) Pedi-Egg - This is the perfect solution to keeping your feet soft and supple (Giggle. Words that end in "pple" make me laugh.). Use this little wonder after showers and you'll notice an immediate difference. Promise.
(6) Kiwi Color Reflector Deep Treat Masque - I don't even have color in my hair, but I swear by this conditioner. I use it with every wash and it leaves my hair soooo soft and silky. This stuff is seriously amazing. I found it at TJMaxx once for $5 (!) and I bought 5 of them. Just because. That just goes to show how much I love it.
(7) MAC Studio Fix - Best compact ever! I love it because it can be brushed on for lighter coverage, or you can use a sponge for heavier coverage. Good stuff.
(8) NARS Lip Gloss in Striptease - I have looked high and low for the perfect nude gloss. This is it. I think I'm in love.


...and thus concludes this episode of Becks' favorite things. Do you feel like you know me better? At the very least, I've introduced you to some things that you just might want to give a whirl, right? Then my job here is done. Besides, this turned into a novel of epic proportions and I really only did it because I thought it would be quick and mindless. I was so wrong. But see - I'm not all thorns and razorblades. I like some things...I just also happen to dislike just as many things. I'm going to try to post something more substantial in a bit, but no promises. I'm headed to NOLA in the morning to laissez les bon temps rouler!!  

1 comment:

  1. I desperately want a Kindle but then I keep telling myself that I will some day get an Ipad and then will have no need for the Kindle. Not that I'm sure when I'd ever get an Ipad. Lottery Winner?

    xox Lexi
    Glitter & Pearls

    ReplyDelete