Pages

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Going Green?

Ok, so here’s the thing. I am actually a believer in things like global warming and I think that perhaps today’s society doesn’t really understand the full extent of the damage we are doing to our planet. I get it; I really do. The problem is…I still can’t seem to get my actions to coincide with this whole going green thing. My intentions are good, but I just have issues with actual execution. Last night, I was thinking about all of my terrible habits and came up with the following list:

5 Ways to Quickly Identify That You Are Contributing to the Detriment of the Earth

1.   You refuse to stop drinking water out of plastic bottles. Listen, some people prefer bottled beverages over cups/glasses. I’m definitely not judging (for obvious reasons). Water smells weird when you drink it out of a glass.
2.   You drive a Hummer/Yukon XL/Suburban, or any other extremely large vehicle…and it’s not even a hybrid. (For the record, I don’t drive a ridiculously large vehicle...or a hybrid…I just observe a lot of them on the Houston highways. Those things cannot be good for the environment.)
3.   You always require fresh towels and sheets when you stay in a hotel, even though most hotels now offer the option of keeping the same towels/sheets for the duration of your stay in an effort to conserve water. I kind of feel like that’s the whole purpose of staying in a hotel. Not having to clean up after yourself and always coming back to a made-up bed and fresh towels. No?
4.  You start your shower to let the water “warm up” while you brush your teeth, put your contacts in, and pick out your clothes. (I always have the intention of getting right in the shower.)
5.  You don’t recycle. (In my defense, our apartment complex doesn’t even offer the option of recycling. I recycle when I have the option; but it’s a little difficult when I don’t. My fault? I think not.)

Basically, the long and short of it is...do your part. Bad habits are like assholes; everyone has one. But at the end of the day, this isn't our planet to keep...we're just renting the space for a little while. Try a little harder. If not for your own sake, for your [future] kids' sake. I will too. Promise.



No comments:

Post a Comment