Pages

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Prescription Drug Side Effects – Does the Bad Outweigh the Good?

Before I begin this morning’s post, let me say – I am absolutely a proponent of pharmacology. I think that there are some medical conditions which require treatment through the use of prescription medications. I am the first one to schedule an appointment with my GP if I am not feeling well. However, have you ever really paid attention to those prescription medication commercials? I mean really listened.

Ridiculously chipper content aside (I mean, who is really happy with genital herpes?), all of those drug commercials are pretty inconsequential…until they get to the side effects. How many people are willing to suffer through those terrible side effects, just to reach an end result? I can understand if the medication is needed for some potentially life-threatening condition. But what about people who are looking to stop smoking, cure acne or lose a little bit of weight?

There are three medications that I would like to highlight today that are taken for the abovementioned indications and come with a list of side effects that would make any rational person stop and take note:

Alli – This drug was endorsed in 2007 by Oprah Winfrey as an FDA-approved, over-the-counter weight loss drug that “…prevents your body from digesting about 25 percent of the fat in your food. In studies, people who took the pill while dieting typically lost 50 percent more weight than those who just dieted.” Sounds great, right? What Oprah did not emphasize was the undesirable side effects that can occur when taking Alli, including (but not limited to):

Gas with an oily anal discharge
Loose stools or diarrhea
More frequest bowel movements
Hard-to-control bowel movements

Um…gas with an oily anal discharge? Hard-to-control bowel movements? Wow. So let me get this straight – not only will I shart, I also run the risk of shitting my pants at any given moment? No, thanks. I guess nobody thought to ask where that 25% of the fat in your food that your body isn’t digesting was going. No need to ask – it’s apparently going to come flying out of your asshole for a little afternoon delight.  

Accutane – This was a very popular drug back in my high school days, used for the treatment of severe acne. How bad can the side effects of acne medication be, right?  Well, this particular drug has so many adverse side effects; I thought I would just include the best of the best. See for yourself:

Depression
Erectile dysfunction (difficulty in maintaining erection)
Violent behavior/aggression
Psychosis (seeing or hearing things that are not real)
Suicidal ideation (rare)
Suicide attempts
Hearing impairment
Major birth defects
Blood-red vision
Stroke
Seizures

WTF? I’m gonna go ahead and put it all out there: NOT WORTH IT. Just for clear skin? So, let me get this straight - although the men who take Accutane may end up with skin as smooth as a baby’s bottom…even if they could then get a date, the probability of being able to seal the deal…slim to none. I can just see it now, “Sorry, baby. It’s not you; it’s my meds.” Talk about the perfect FML post. Haha the best part of this list is that the manufacturer felt the need to qualify some of the side effects...you have suicidal ideations, but it's rare. You are far more likely to TRY to kill yourself than to just THINK about it. What also really gets me is the manufacturer’s response to an inquiry about the most important information patients should know about Accutane: “Accutane may cause serious mental health problems.” Super. People who take Accutane will indeed end up with clear skin. The only drawback is that they also may end up dead, or in a mental hospital. Yikes.

Chantix – This is my personal favorite. Chantix is a drug that is prescribed to help people stop smoking. I think it’s commendable that people want to quit this nasty habit…but I would suggest they opt for Nicorette, or good, old-fashioned willpower. The side effects for Chantix suck. Pretty much everyone I have spoken to that has ever taken it experienced adverse side effects within the 1st month…and when I say adverse, I mean adverse. The manufacturer doesn’t simply list a few possible side effects; this drug comes with a full on warning:

WARNING
SERIOUS NEUROPSYCHIATRIC EVENTS
Serious neuropsychiatric events including, but not limited to, depression, suicidal ideation, suicide attempt and completed suicide have been reported in patients taking CHANTIX. Some reported cases may have been complicated by the symptoms of nicotine withdrawal in patients who stopped smoking. Depressed mood may be a symptom of nicotine withdrawal. Depression, rarely including suicidal ideation, has been reported in smokers undergoing a smoking cessation attempt without medication. However, some of these symptoms have occurred in patients taking CHANTIX who continued to smoke.
All patients being treated with CHANTIX should be observed for neuropsychiatric symptoms including changes in behavior, hostility, agitation, depressed mood, and suicide-related events, including ideation, behavior, and attempted suicide. These symptoms, as well as worsening of pre-existing psychiatric illness and completed suicide, have been reported in some patients attempting to quit smoking while taking CHANTIX in the postmarketing experience. When symptoms were reported, most were during CHANTIX treatment, but some were following discontinuation of CHANTIX therapy.

It sounds to me that basically what they are saying is…just keep smoking. You’ll probably eventually die of lung cancer or heart disease…but hey, we all have to die some day. Wouldn’t you rather die happy with a ciggie in your hand, than because you killed your entire family (and then yourself) in a Chantix-induced rage?

I’ll leave you with this simple thought: Yes, we live in an undeniably shallow society. But at the end of the day, most people prefer fat, cigarette smokers with severe acne than impotent psychotic people with homicidal thoughts and explosive diarrhea.

No comments:

Post a Comment